The 2012-2013 NHL season has officially come to an end. The lockout-shortened season felt like a sprint to the finish line at times but although teams played only 42 games rather than 81, the season was not short of drama. We had record-breaking winning streaks, blockbuster contracts, highlight real goals and saves and it was all capped off with the Chicago Blackhawks hoisting the Stanley Cup for the second time in the last four seasons and the fifth time in franchise history.
The Blackhawks sealed their Stanley Cup win with one of the most thrilling comebacks in all of sports, when they scored two goals just 17 seconds apart with under a minute and a half remaining in the game. Blackhawks forward, Patrick Kane became just the fourth American born player in NHL history to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player during the playoffs. Team captain Jonathan Toews won the Stanley Cup for the second time in his six-year career and it was his second as captain of the Blackhawks.
Congratulations Chicago, enjoy it while it lasts, because the Kings will take back what is theirs next summer.
– Here is your recap, I think he is pretty happy for some reason. (Blackhawk Up)
– Was this Stanley Cup final an instant classic, vote here. (Oil On Whyte)
– Are the Bruins the NHL’s biggest bully? (Sabre Noise)
– Viktor Stalberg might celebrate a little too much over the next few days. (Puck Daddy)
– There is something about this picture that just sums up what hockey is all about. (Reddit)
Last Night’s Scores
Chicago Blackhawks 3, Boston Bruins 2
– Dave Bolland’s Stanley Cup winning goal at 19:01 of the third period was the latest Cup clinching goal in regulation time.
– The Blackhawks were the fifth team in the past six years to win the Stanley Cup on the road.
– Michal Handzus and Jamal Mayers played a combined 1,865 games before winning the Cup last night.
Highlight Of The Night
What did you think you were going to get? Here is a video of some of the Blackhawks’ celebration last night.