The 2013 Stanley Cup Final kicked off last night, and it started with a bang. The game needed 3 extra periods, extending well into the night, before the Chicago Blackhawks netted the game winner off of a double deflection to take a 1-0 series lead. While you’re recovering from all of last night’s action, here is what is happening around the Kingdom.
- Here is your game 1 recap from Blackhawk Up.
- Evgeni Malkin has signed an 8-year $76 million contract extension. (NHL.com)
- Dustin Brown and the Kings can still win one trophy this season. (Rink Royalty)
- There will never be a dynasty quite like the Edmonton Oilers of the ’80′s. (Oil on Whyte)
- The Penguins extended head coach Dan Bylsma’s contract through ’15-’16. (Pens Labyrinth)
- It is possible the Coyotes won’t be playing in Phoenix next year. (The Hockey News)
Last Night’s Scores
Boston Bruins 3, Chicago Blackhawks 4 3OT
- Milan Lucic grabbed 2 goals last night, his fourth and fifth of the playoffs
- Johnny Oduya scored his third goal of playoffs last night, he scored 3 throughout the entire regular season
Highlight Of The Night
Andrew Shaw was the beneficiary of a double deflection in the third overtime of last night’s game 1 action. Luckily for the NHL and its fans he happened to be mic’d up last night as well. I guess a winning goal in a triple overtime game of the Stanley Cup Final produces a lot of breathless screams and proclamations of love.